Easy step-by-step ‘how to’ Star Wars BB8 Droid character.
What You Need:
- Felt tip pens (ideally black, dark grey, light grey, orange)
- A pencil
- White paper or card
- A rubber
How To Make:
- First start by drawing the head which is like a squashed circle (picture 1)
- Then add two circle inside – one bigger than the other (picture 2)
- Next add some detail (picture 3)
- Now draw a large circle directly under the head so they are connected – this will form the body. If you find it hard to draw a circle freehand, you could draw around something instead (picture 4)
- Draw 4 curved lines inside the large circle (picture 5)
- Add some cog shapes inside (picture 6)
- Now add some lines and dots to make the body look like metal bolted together (picture 7)
- Add some more detail (picture 8)
- Finally to finish the pencil work add 2 antennae on top of his head – one longer than the other (picture 9)
- Now outline all your pencil work in black pen (picture 10). Once you have finished use a rubber to erase the pencil lines
- Colour it in using your other felt tips. A good tip is to mark our first which areas are which colour first before fully colouring in (picture 11)
- When you’ve finished you can add any shading or extra details if you wish (picture 12)
Copying a drawing using step-by-step instructions is a great way to help children learn observational skills, size and scale and recognising shapes.
Note how this particular drawing of BB8 is made up of lots of 2D shapes and very simple lines. If your child finds a part hard to draw such as the cog shape for example, encourage your child to break it down into separate 2D shapes, i.e. a circle with rectangles around its perimeter.
We always recommend wearing an apron or old clothes for any crafts.
If you don’t have felt tip pens you can always use coloured pencils, paint or even just leave it black and white for a cool Line Art effect.