- All materials provided
- Leave with your very handmade book to use or give as a gift
- Complementary Tea & Coffee available
Make Your Own Handmade Book
A beautifully relaxing and utterly satisfying workshop where you will learn ancient techniques for making your very own handmade book using a Coptic Stitch binding.
Coptic stitch is a beautiful exposed book binding style that resembles chain stitch. These books have an open spine which means the pages open completely flat. Coptic style books are ideal as gifts or to keep for yourself as a diary, sketchbook or notebook.
In this Workshop…
You will make a an A5 portrait book from scratch. All steps are demonstrated as a group, and there will be plenty of one to one advice and guidance during the day.
Led by MADEby Master Maker Janina Maher she will guide you through a range of steps including:
- Trimming paper (140gsm cartridge) into the right size for the book and nesting the trimmed sheets into ‘signatures’
- Preparing your covers, cutting these from greyboard, covering with your choice from a wide selection of decorative papers, and allowing these to dry
- Making the holes for sewing and will finally sew all the pages and cover together using Coptic stitch.
There will also be many suggestions for how to take this binding style further in your own projects after the workshop.
Note: There will be some measuring, cutting and gluing and Janina will give plenty of tips to make these as easy as possible. Some basic sewing skills would be useful. No bookbinding experience is needed
All materials are included in the workshop ticket price.
Tools and equipment:
Please bring with you to the workshop…
- A blunt ended sewing needle with large eye (eg tapestry needle approx size 20)
- If you have a metal ruler this would also be useful. If not Janina has a few to share
If you have any of the following tools please bring them otherwise they can be borrowed from the tutor:
- Bone folder (for creasing paper)
- Small awl / braddle (for making holes in paper and card)
- T square ruler
We kindly ask if you can arrive at least 10 minutes before the start time, as we always aim to start on time to ensure we have enough time to make our wonderful pieces. Thank you 🙂
Please note strict hygiene rules will be in place and all drinks are served in paper cups. Thank you for your understanding. For more info on our COVID safety protocols and booking terms click here
Read more about our fabulous Master Maker Janina on our Master Makers Page >
28th July 2021 10am-4pm, 2nd November 2021 10am-4pm, 6th July 2021 10am-4pm