Salt dough is one of those super easy recipes that has been around for years. However it still has to be one of our favourite homemade ‘clay’ recipes. It is so versatile and with no nasty ingredients – it is both eco friendly and kid friendly!
As we are celebrating everything rainbow this week, we decided how about making rainbow necklaces and magnets.
What You Need:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 3/4 – 1 cup of water
- A rolling pin or tin foil tube
- Cocktail stick (or similar to pierce a hole)
- A knife (doesn’t have to be sharp)
- Biscuit cutter (or even a plastic lid will work as a cutter)
- Plastic bottle top lid
- Mixing Bowl
- Wooden Spoon
- Paint in rainbow colours (if you don’t have paint see our DIY paint recipes here)
- Paintbrush or old makeup brush
- An old magnet (you only need the magnet not the ornament bit)
- Wooden or plastic beads (optional)
Makes 12 colours
How To Make:
- Mix together the flour, salt and water (adding a it at a time to ensure the dough is not too wet. You may end up using the full cup of water but just in case).
- Once you have a dough like consistency and it forms a ball, remove from the bowl and roll our on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a round biscuit cutter (or plastic lid) cut out circles.
- Then with your knife cute the circles into semi-circles.
- Next cut out smaller semi-circles from the flat part of the large semi-circles using a plastic bottle top lid.
- Pierce a small hole at the top of the semi-circle (don’t add holes to the magnet ones).
- Allow to dry overnight or to speed up drying place in an oven for 20-30 minutes on 50 degrees.
- Once fully dry and hard. Glue magnets onto the back of the the semi-circles that do not have holes in.
- Now it’s time to get painting. Paint each colour in stripes along your semi-circles. If you are making a necklace you may want to paint both sides but remember to let the first side dry first before turning over.
- When the paint has dried glue on a magnet to the ones you are using as magnets and thread string and beads(optional) to the rainbows with holes.
- Then enjoy wearing your rainbow of hope necklace or display your beautiful rainbow of hope badge on your fridge.