Capture your favourite Marvel, DC or even real-life superhero in a super simple DIY bookmark.
What You Need:
- Lolly sticks (or strips of card if you don’t have lolly sticks)
- Paint (see out DIY paint recipes on how to make your own)
- Thin nibbed black pen (a black biro will be fine)
How To Make:
- First we will paint the lolly sticks. Using a picture of your favourite superhero/es as a guide, paint the main colours of their outfit. Don’t worry about trying to paint arms and legs as you won’t have enough room, so be creative and just think blocks of colour to represent each section of the outfit. You may need to leave one colour to dry before adding in others so you don’t get a muddy mix.
- Then on a piece of card draw a round or oval shape for your superhero’s face/mask. If you need to draw around something try a bottle top and then you can always add extra pencil lives to stretch it to an oval shape. Once you are happy with the shape and size, cut it out.
- Now draw in pencil your superhero’s face/mask onto the shape. You can keep it really simple and again just do it in blocks of colour or you can try to get in some of the details of their face or mask. Try not to make it too complicated as you will need to paint it next, and can always add more detail when it’s dry.
- Then simply paint your piece of card and leave to dry.
- OUR TOP TIP: If you want to make your superhero bookmark of a real-life person instead of drawing a face onto the card, simply cut out a photo of your favourite NHS, Keyworker or other real-life hero and attach to your lolly stick. PLUS you could even attached a triangle of fabric or coloured card as cape.
- Once dry add detail and enhance some of the superhero’s features by using a thin black pen to outline eyes, nose, helmet or mask features.
- Finally glue the head onto the top of the stick. Once dry enjoy having your favourite superhero making sure you never forget which page you are on in your book.